Open Questions - Metascience
New Science will do metascience research aimed at furthering our understanding of how life sciences actually work. Here are a few of the specific questions we would like to answer next:
- How exactly do various philanthropic organizations in the life sciences space work? How do they impact the ecosystem, and how do they succeed and fail at facilitating the pursuit of great research? How much counterfactual impact do they make?
- How can grad students and postdocs pursue higher variance research portfolios while not jeopardizing their long-term career prospects?
- How can people from technical backgrounds (software engineers, physicists, mathematicians) interested in but with little formal training in biology meaningfully contribute to research projects? How to pair them with interested grad students, postdocs and PIs to get them started in research and to bring them to the frontier?
- How to further enable and systematize the work of people who do error correction and fraud detection in science like Elisabeth Bik and James Heathers? Notably, they both left academia academia because at the moment there’s no place in science for people who, you know, correct errors in scientific literature
- Why are universities so averse to hiring co-PIs?
- How does the NIH actually work?
- What could be the equity analog of scientific research decades away from commercialization?
If you’d like to help us answer some of these questions, please reach out to email@example.com.